Hey guys! It is Saturday, and I'm back with a new post! This post is a little different. 'Aesthetic' is literally one of the most used words today. ' This is so aesthetic!', 'Such an aesthetic bedroom!' - We've all seen ( and at times, laughed at ) such comments. Everybody wants their photos to be 'aesthetic'. Everybody searches for 'aesthetic' wallpapers on Pinterest instead of just wallpapers. But what exactly is aesthetic? And how do you find yours? These are some of the questions I'll be answering today! So let's get right to it!
What is 'Aesthetic' ?
This is the dictionary definition:
adjective: aesthetic; adjective: esthetic
concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty."the pictures give great aesthetic pleasure"giving or designed to give pleasure through beauty.
noun: aesthetic; plural noun: aesthetics; noun: esthetic; plural noun: esthetics
a set of principles underlying the work of a particular artist or artistic movement."the Cubist aesthetic"
I know what you're thinking : 'That makes no sense!' Well, let me make it simpler for you:
Hey guys! It is Saturday, and I'm back with a new post! This post is a little different. 'Aesthetic', as a adjective, is something that is visually pleasing and beautiful. I've put examples of different aesthetics ( so proud of myself for making them! ) after every point, such as this one :
When used in Instagram, it often means 'personal style', 'moodboard' or 'visual style/ theme'. Your aesthetic is basically a representation of your personality and your style. It is all about you. There are many types of aesthetic, such as grunge, vintage, pastel, etc. But most people are a combination of many aesthetics, like me. That is why the best idea would be to follow your own completely unique aesthetic instead of following one that already exists.
Step 1 - Get to know yourself
Your aesthetic is all about YOU, so you need to know yourself. Here a few questions that will help you with that:
• What do you like?
• What do you dislike?
• Describe your personality
• What do you love the most about yourself?
• What kind of music, books, films do you like?
• What kind of clothes do you like wearing?
• What are your favorite colors and your favorite dishes?
• Descibe your ideal day.
• What places do you want to visit?
• What are 5 unique things about you?
• What are some words/ quotes you like?
Step 2 - Find your inspiration
The things that inspire me are a large part of who I am and my aesthetic. What inspires you? In terms of :
• Fictional characters
• Style/ Fashion icons
Step 3 - Create a moodboard :
This is the best part of the process! Creating a noodboard is so much fun. Here is how to do that :
• Go through the lists you made in the steps before this one.
• Open Pinterest/ We Heart It and start pinning all the things on the lists! It is alright if you don't stick to the list. Just pin whatever you like!
• If you want to, you can make a collage using apps. I recommend using Picsart or Canva!
• And, most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Step 4 - Clean up
So you've pinned thousands of images with things you like, and everything seems to be great, except one thing : You'll notice that it all looks a little, well, messy. Here's how to fix that :
• Go through everything again. Maybe you loved that outfit at that time, but you don't like it anymore. Or maybe that bedroom does not look as great as you thought it would. Only keep the things you genuinely like.
• Rearrange stuff a little bit. If you think your moodboard looks a little disorganized, moving stuff around may help.
• After doing all this, you'll be looking at a representation of yourself! You'll notice that there are some patterns/ styles/ themes being repeated. That's your aesthetic!
Step 5 - Use your aesthetic!
You've done it! You know what kind of stuff you like, so it's finally time to put that knowledge to use!
• In real life, you can look out for outfits like the ones you have in your moodboard, or outfits with the same colors/ patterns as the ones in your moodboard. You can redesign your bedroom as you finally know what kind of bedroom you like! You can start changing yourself lifestyle a little bit too, so you get closer to having your dream lifestyle!
• In social media, you can put this knowledge to use on your Instagram feed or your blog! You can start producing the kind of content you like, so that your social media becomes a representation of you. Being yourself online will definitely help your chances!
Note : This is just a fun activity, so don't take it too seriously! You aesthetic is all about you, so it is alright to like something although you think it doesn't fit your aesthetic. And remember not to worry about what's cool! Being yourself is literally the coolest thing you can do!
For more info, check out this post by SheTheSpy which helped me a lot! - https://www.shethespy.com/blog/2019/1/12/how-to-find-your-own-aesthetic
Hope you enjoyed this post! Let me know what you think in the comments! If you tried this, I'd love to see your moodboard! If you want a collage/ moodboard of your aesthetic like the ones above, let me know and I'll make one for you!