Hey guys! Its Tuesday and I have a new post for you! So, if you read my last blog post and follow me on Instagram, you'll know that I conepletely fell in love with a movie I watched recently. I refused to reveal the name, but that's because I wanted to dedicate a whole post to that movie. So here it is! And as you can clearly see from the title, that movie is 'Before Sunrise'.
It's such a strange feeling when something comes into your life like a movie or an artist or a band that just feels like it's made from the same stuff you are, it immediately becomes a part of how you define yourself and its everything you see yourself as at that point in life and everything that you aspire to be and it's such a bizarre sensation when you discover something and you immediately feel it fill a hole inside that you didn't even know was there.
'Before Sunrise' was such a movie for me. Even though this movie is immensely popular, has won tons of awards and has excellent ratings ( IMDb - 8.1/10, Rotten tomatoes - 100% ), I hadn't heard of it. I had seen so many quotes from this movie everywhere, but not the movie as a whole. Which is really sad because this movie is a masterpiece and it deserves so much more recognition.
Synopsis : While travelling on a train in Europe, Jesse, an American man, meets Celine, a French woman. On his last day in Europe before returning to the US, he decides to spend his remaining hours with her.
Writing this post is so difficult because I have no words to describe how much I I this movie. This movie is literally the best movie I have ever seen. It is a classic walk and talk movie, so If you're looking for action, you won't get it in this movie. But if you're looking for quotes that touch your soul, a movie that makes you feel understood and a breathtaking romance, this movie is the one. The other two movies in the before trilogy, Before Sunset and Before Midnight, are also amazing, but Before Sunrise will always be my favorite.
Let's get right to it! The ten reasons are -
1. The dialogues - Every single dialogue in this movie is amazing. Every single one makes you wonder about life. The dialogues are the biggest reason why this movie is so successful. I love all of them, but I have added a few of my favorite ones after each point!
2. The actors - Ethan Hawke and Julia Delpy have outdone themselves in this movie. It feels as if they are actually talking and not just acting. They make you feel as if you are in the movie right along with them, and that is what makes this movie great.
3. It has a great director - Richard Linklater, the director of this movie, has made the movie very well. Without his vision and expertise, this movie probably wouldn't have been that good.
4. The setting - Is there any place better then Europe for a romance? This movie takes place in Vienna, and they show the city so wonderfully that it feels like you are travelling to Vienna.
5. Based on a true story - I'm not kidding! This movie is actually based on a night that the director spent with a girl named Amy in Philadelphia. This is proof that chatting to random, cute strangers in trains may actually work sometimes.
6. Ethan Hawke and Julia Delpy's Chemistry - Let's face it. Romance movies need good chemistry like we need air. And the chemistry between Jesse ( Ethan Hawke )
and Julia Delpy ( Celine ) is amazing. Their kiss even got nominated for the best kiss onscreen. Goals, am I right?
7. It's a 90s movie - This movie has that really cool, aesthetic 90s vibe, which is seen in everything from the way they dress to the places they go. And weren't the 90s the best?
8. The fact that they aren't supposed to meet again - Jesse and Celine know that they probably will never see each other again, so they make their time together as magical as possible. They also have a lot of fun and encounter a lot of weirdos, which honestly makes everything more magical.
And that's it! If I'm being honest, I can't find anything wrong with this movie! This movie has literally become a part of me now. It's the kind of movie you can't stop thinking about. The kind that makes you very happy and very sad at the same time. I hope you watch this movie and love it as much as I do!